Friday, August 12, 2011

Vacation Veggies


Do you ever notice how the garden seems to kick into gear just when you're planning to go out of town?  What do you do about that?

A couple years ago, I decided the harvest needed to join me when I went to visit friends and family back east.  I got one of those soft-sided cooler bags, packed it full of ice in ziplocs, tossed in homemade baba ganoush (one of my favorite eggplant preparations), an assortment of tomatoes, a painted serpent cucumber and I don't even remember what else.  And then a very shocking thing happened... they let me through security!  I definitely thought they would confiscate the ice cubes at least, but they actually let me and my harvest onto the plane without a fuss.  A rare moment of sanity from the good people of the TSA.

This year I plan to leave most of the harvest behind either by stuffing it in my face before I leave, giving it to the pet-sitters, or finding a way to preserve it.  That means blanching and freezing green beans, shredding and freezing zucchini and hoping the eggplants can hang on the plant until I get back.  I am also planning to do a monster zucchini bread mission- it will make a great gift for the pet-sitters and it will travel well with me as I head back east once again.  And you know, it's always nice to have a loaf of zucchini bread kicking around your cabin in the woods.  You never when you'll want a little taste of home.  I was planning.  Now that I need to pack and clean the house and blah blah blah, that zucchini is all going to the pet-sitters.  Thanks, guys, and I hope you're hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...