Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Leftover Breakfast of Champions

I do not intend to make this blog a play-by-play of my eating habits.  However, I made the most amazing breakfast of leftovers ever last weekend and I just had to share.  This is what it looked like:


And this is how I made it:

I looked into the fridge and took stock of a motley group of leftovers- tomato salad, corn tortillas, chopped zucchini and summer squash, 2 tablespoons of taco beef.  This clearly had the makings of something good.  I had been planning to just make some scrambled eggs with the leftover zukes.  But when I noticed the corn tortillas I knew I would be making a breakfast taco. 

Upon considering the tomato salad (chopped heirloom tomatoes marinated in olive oil and garlic that was resembling soup in consistency), I decided that I should put them in a pot and cook them down like a tomato jam.  Then I noticed a random Hungarian wax pepper in the fridge that needed to be eaten.  "A ha!," I thought, "a tomato jam salsa!" and into the pot went the chopped hot pepper.  I put this on the back burner over medium to thicken up while I tended to the rest of the components.

The zucchini I tossed with some olive oil and sauteed until they got nice and tender.  I then added in two eggs and just scrambled them with the spatula right in the pan.  I was fancy enough already without getting another bowl dirty.

The microwave took care of heating up my corn tortillas, as well as the scraps of leftover taco meat.  I admit that when I put those small spoonfuls of taco beef into a jar I thought to myself, "Wow, you're never going to eat this, it's ridiculous."  But I put it in the fridge anyway and I am so glad I did.  It was just the spark this meal needed.

Now to the assembly!  I placed the two corn tortillas on a plate, added scrambled eggs with zucchini, topped those with shredded mozzarella, topped that with ground beef, and last but not least, I topped the whole thing with the nicely thickened tomato jam salsa.  It was one of the best breakfasts I have had at home in a good long while.  Hooray for leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...