Tuesday, March 29, 2011

To Action!

The rains have finally broken out here in soggy California and the sun has returned in earnest.  Now it feels like spring.  The thing about spring is that it comes every year, yet never ceases to instill a sense of anxious excitement in me, especially in the garden.  All the day-dreaming through the winter can be turned into action- soil to prep, weeds to pull, seeds to plant, seedlings to buy, mulch to spread!  Yippee!

These are the garden tasks that I am looking forward to over the next few weeks:
  • Finally take down tomato cages- I just had to admit that one.  Yup, it's March and the tomato cages are still up.  Hey, at least it keeps the cats out of the garden bed.
  • Remove bolted brassicas - What a weird winter.  Tons of rain and hot spells led to confused vegetables.  My broccoli, cauliflower, kale, cabbage, etc decided that instead of producing food they'd give me flowers (i.e. bolt).  Oh well, 2009-2010 was a great broccoli year (see the giant broccoli in my photo) so maybe next winter will be great once more.
  • Weed the garden path and around the bases of the fruit trees - Death to Bermuda Grass!!!
  • Lay straw mulch down between the garden beds - Suffocate, Bermuda Grass!
  • Add compost to the unoccupied raised beds and turn the soil - Dig, sonny, dig!
  • Wrangle the bird netting - Don't ask...
  • Install drip irrigation lines - The pipes and lines to all the beds are hooked up, now I just need to figure out how to add drip emitters or soaker hoses or t-tape.  This will be the first season that the MKG is on irrigation rather than hand-watering and I'm holding out hope that things will survive summer trips just a little bit better (or at all- I'm looking at you, potatoes).
  • Plant the asparagus - If it ever thaws out enough at the farm for the crowns to be dug up.
  • Plant root and lettuce seeds - Time to get those carrots and beets and radishes started before the heat comes on strong.
Phew!  I think that just about covers it.  I've got plenty to do around the garden now so that it's in fighting shape come summer planting time.  Hmmm, I should probably quit blogging and get out into the MKG. To action!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...