Friday, April 29, 2011

Pink Pepper Picking

A few weeks ago I described my pink peppercorn find.  After confirmation from some expert foragers and recruiting an excellent foraging partner (my Mom!), I was ready to commence with the Pink Pepper Picking!

There was a serious abundance of fruits on the trees, so finding sufficient quantity was not a problem.  The main inconvenience of the mission was the sheer height of the trees- our harvest would have been larger had I brought a step ladder along.  I did bring gardening gloves, a pair of clippers and a tote bag.  But it turns out, all I needed was the tote bag.  We checked out the bunches of peppers within reach and chose to harvest the ones with the best color.  Our assumption was: bright pink = fresh.

After a mere ten minutes of effort, this is the resultant harvest:


Not bad, huh? 

We each decided to try a pepper and see how they tasted.  The answer?  The shell was sweet and the kernel inside was really peppery.  That might seem pretty obvious, but I just was not prepared for this level of pepper.  Half an hour later my Mom turned to me and said, "You know, I still taste that pepper."  I'm not sure she was a fan...

Now I will lay them out on a baking sheet to dry for a few days, then will bottle them up and store them in the pantry.  I am looking forward to making all of these dishes featuring them:

Pink pepper goat cheese spread
Pink pepper marinated olives
Chocolate and pink peppercorn cupcakes

Yum!  If you know a great way to showcase pink peppers, please pass it along in the comments.  And also, thanks, Mom!

Standard Foraging Disclaimer: Be careful, only eat things you're sure of, don't kill yourself, yada yada yada.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...