Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Madness of Rhizomes

Oh, Bermuda grass!
You torment me SO
I dig and dig and dig

and dig and dig

Yet you still continue on
Under the ground
ad infinitum

Perhaps to China
But more likely
to Bermuda.

I wish you would have just stayed there to begin with.

*************

And now, to mangle some William Carlos Williams:



so much depends
upon

a green weed
barrow

filled with grass
shrapnel

beside the grey
kitten.


*************
  
You know how it's called a pride of lions or a murder of crows or a pod of dolphins?  I have come to the conclusion that we gardeners should start calling Bermuda grass, with its unbelievable tenacity, "a madness of rhizomes."  Those rhizomes will surely drive me to the brink of insanity.  Behold above, the results of 8 hours hard labor: a weed barrow.  And still the Bermuda grass persists.  I'm telling you, it's definitely a madness of rhizomes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...