Friday, May 27, 2011

Weekend Activity: The Wild Kitchen

There is a group here in the Bay Area called forageSF.  They organize underground markets, foraging classes and meals.  It was through this group that I took a wild food walk a few months ago.  Ever since I heard about this organization I have been eagerly anticipating The Wild Kitchen.  It is a meal that is served at a surprise location somewhere in San Francisco- the details are sent out the day of the event (perhaps to avoid health inspectors?).  But it's not just any meal in a surprise location, it's an 8-course meal comprised predominantly of wild or foraged foods.  Is that not fabulous? 

Just Wednesday I got an email alerting me to the spring Wild Kitchen event happening June 3rd, 4th and 5th.  This is the description of courses from the email:


And the menu is:
First
Wild Bay Butter Crostini

next
Wild onion soup
with
Pan Fried Morels
 

next
Wild Nettle Gallete
with
Heirloom tomato Confit

next
Quick Fried Wild Caught Surf Trout
with
Wild Watercress Aioli
 

next
Sierra Morel and Liberty Duck Risotto
with
Spring Asparagus
 

next
Wild Caught California Uni
with
Quail Egg, Ponzu and Sea Beans
 

next
Salad of Miners Lettuce
and
Spring Greens
with a
Champagne Vinaigrette
 

last
Fresh Strawberries
with
Wild Fennel Pollen
and
Hand Whipped Cream
 


I might just have to start freaking out now.  This food sounds so delicious and it's certainly not the sort of thing you just bump into at a restaurant, even while living in the Bay Area (a.k.a. the US epicenter of all foods wacky/local/vegan/foraged etc).  For Pete's sake, nettle is practically mainstream around here.  But all those morels, the trout, uni and fennel pollen?  That's just decadence.  Plus, the foragers will be present at the dinner to put all this food into context.  I really don't think I can wait a whole week; it's far too exciting!

Jumping for joy over The Wild Kitchen

So that's what I'll be up to next weekend.  If you're in the Bay and keen for some really local food I encourage you to come out and support our local foragers.  Also, I apologize for tormenting those who live nowhere near here.  Hopefully I will come back with lots of pictures and recipe ideas that I can pass on to you in lieu of sharing this wonderful meal in person.  Or you never know- maybe you have a local foraging group, too!  Why not get onto Google and take a look?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...