Friday, July 1, 2011

June 2011 MKG Harvest

Every Zinyard needs an artichoke finial
Wow.  I am way behind on my harvests relative to the last few years.  I mean, it's already July and I haven't harvested any zucchini yet!  There are two reasons- cold weather and slow planting.  Oops.  Oh well, it's been a busy spring.

The June 2011 MKG Harvest:

  - 2 bunches chard
  - 2 bunches lettuce
  - 3 artichokes
  - 2 lemons
  - 1 strawberry
  - 1 Hungarian yellow wax pepper
  - ~20 garlic scapes
  - thyme

With the exception of the strawberry, pepper and scapes, that looks like a list more appropriate to March.  Seriously, 2011 has been a very strange gardening year thus far.

What did I do with this sparse harvest, you ask?  Well, some of it I gave away, some was nibbled on, some is in the fridge awaiting the weekend (garlic scapes) and the rest became:

- Lettuce and Pear and Blue Cheese and Walnut Salad
- Potstickers with garlicky greens (chard)
- Artichokes with lemon-thyme aioli
- Sauteed chard with garlic and lemon juice
- Chicken souvlaki with Hungarian wax pepper
- Black bean and corn quesadillas with Hungarian wax pepper

That makes me feel better.  The harvest might have been small, but more importantly, it was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...