Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Belated Glaswegian Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day


Um, so it's not the 15th anymore, traditional Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, but I am doing a lot of adjusting in this new land of Scotland so I'm cutting myself some slack.  You know why?  Because there are flowers blooming in Glasgow in January!

I grew up in New England and for some reason, I expected that dried berries or old seed pods would be the only botanical interests around here this time of year.  I was wrong.  There are still errant roses blooming here and there, heathers, and other plants I don't know yet.  But what is really exciting, are the bulbs! 

I recall welcoming spring in Connecticut with the snowdrops growing in the woods behind our decaying wood pile; I think it was roundabout March.  The snowdrops would then be followed by crocuses of yellow and purple down by the mailbox.  The final nail in the coffin of winter was the eventual explosion of a veritable bonanza of daffodils.  The emergence of the bulbs from their winter slumber was the cue and chorus of winter's end.

Walking the Snoutface through the lovely Botanic Gardens last week, I started to notice all the shoots the bulbs were sending out.  I was excited, but not expecting to see anything other than green for several more weeks or even months.  But I didn't have to wait more than a few days!  There are snowdrops along the banks of the River Kelvin and crocuses at the feet of the trees throughout the Botanic Garden.  If this is what the flowers are like in January, I can't wait for April!

Snowdrops along the banks of the River Kelvin

Purple crocus, paw for scale


Doorstep heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...